Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Curved


Location: The intersection of Riverbend Drive, Bridgeport Street, and Riverbend Drive in Kitchener

Description: The road signs for an intersection a top a stop sign as seen from behind, with a tree on both sides.

Story: Situations change, and plans must adapt. There's a pitfall in planning too much, as filling in the fine details only leads to more erasing when something gets upset. Thus the choice is between broad strokes and adaptability, or contingency plans and incredible forethought. Both have their merits, yet we usually opt for the larger picture and fill things in on the way.

There's a certain beauty to planning everything, predicting how it will all play out, and trying to prevent anything from going wrong. You're not working to win, but solve an incredibly intricate problem and find the ultimate strategy. It's like planning a city and accounting for how things will change over the next two hundred years. How will rivers get diverted? Where will subdivisions be built? What new methods of transportation will be around, and how will that affect traffic? Can the initial infrastructure be expanded to accommodate a population that may increase tenfold from its original size?

Most often, the variable we account for the least is ourselves. How will I change? What will my desires be in a month? Where will my priorities lie? Knowing everything about a situation, necessitates knowing ourselves.


I've begun to restructure my life and I realized that seven posts a week is currently a standard I can't easily maintain. Instead I will begin mirroring others before me and post on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, hopefully reducing my workload and increasing the quality of what I produce.

No comments: