Friday, December 3, 2010

Discovery


Location: In front of Crawford on Riverbend Drive, Kitchener

Description: Looking down Riverbend Drive on the left, a "Hidden Driveway" sign is in the centre with a line of trees on the right.

Story: "When was the last time you did something new?" she asked, jotting down points on her notepad.

He continued to stare out the window. "Discover a cure for cancer new, or buy a new car new?"

Resistance. She'd come to expect it from him, and continued to ignore it. "More the second. When was the last time you stepped out of your comfort zone?"

He scoffed. "You make it sound physical, like it's a circle I've painted on the ground and stubbornly sit inside." He turned and faced her dead on. "I'm happy, healthy, and content with myself. To use the language you like so much, I'm water. I used to flow downhill constantly, and I've gone over a few waterfalls, but now I'm part of the sea, finally at rest. Yes, I'm stationary, but that's the whole point."

She nodded and wrote as she spoke. "Fair enough. But on your journey, you changed from fresh water to salt water. You're stagnant." She smirked slightly. "Perhaps a little overweight to boot."

He genuinely laughed at that and grinned. "Alright, fine, I'll give you that much. So what should I do?"

She got up and walked over to the window, and he followed her. "There are so many things to see out there, and I'm sure you haven't seen them all. Why not just go for a walk every day? That's the new I spoke of before: new to you. Maybe you won't discover a new continent, but you might be the first person to look under that rock, or climb that tree. Just go out there and see what could be."

No comments: