Saturday, November 13, 2010

Usefulness



Location: The Tim Hortons at the corner of Shanley and King Street in Kitchener

Description: The side of a Tim Hortons with an entrance on the left and a shed on the right. In the middle are garbage and recycling bins, illuminated by three, equally spaced, lights.

Story: His father was exasperated. "Why do you want to keep that horse? It's smaller than the others, only has three legs, and is all skin and bones. It won't be able to pull anything, you can't ride it, and there isn't enough to sell for food. It's useless."

The son nodded. "That's exactly the point. Because you see no use for it, you won't mind that I take it. I'll pay for its feed, and it won't eat much. I won't have to worry about fencing it in because it can't run fast or far, and it'll be able to grow old because it won't be tired from work every day."

"But what will you do with it? If it can't work or race, what good is it?"

"It's good for me," the son replied. "If I ever get disheartened from working dawn to dusk, I'll see it trying to do its best and that will give me encouragement. And when it has to rest more often than the others, I too will make certain to rest and not overdo things. Most of all I'll be closer to it because it will depend on me more than the horses will, and we'll have a special bond because of that."

His father shrugged his shoulders. "Well, do what you want with it, but I don't think it will you do you any good."

His son smiled. "It will exist; that's all it needs to do."

No comments: